Country/Region of Origin: Germany
Life span: 15 – 17 years
Weight: 16 – 30 pounds (7.3 – 13.6 kg)
Gestation: 61 – 65 days
Common Health issues in Dachshunds:
- Back injuries are not uncommon in Dachshunds. Canine Invertebral Disc Disease (CIDD) is a condition where the discs between the vertebrae have degenerated so much that there is no longer sufficient cushioning which results in much pain and discomfort. The degeneration of the discs can start as early as 6 – 12 month of age.
- Hip dysplasia. “Click here” for more on Hip dysplasia.
- Hypothyroidism which is an insufficient production of thyroid hormones due to an underactive thyroid gland.
- Cataract (a cloudy layer over the lens of the eye)
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) is the gradual degeneration of the retina leading to partial or total blindness.
Interesting Facts on Dachshunds:
Having small narrow bodies allowed the Dachshunds to crawl down into animal burrows to chase them out.
In later years a smaller breed known as the miniature dachshund was bred which could go further into narrow animal burrows.
They are the smallest breed of dog used for hunting.
They are also known by the name Sausage dog.